Tulsa Public Schools Cinnamon Rolls
Now that it is time for school to start again it brings back memories of cafeteria food. Cinnamon rolls are one of those memories. Tulsa Public Schools cinnamon rolls are the most delightful comforting treat! We looked forward to them every week.
These cinnamon rolls are a taste of nostalgia and comfort rolled up in homemade goodness. Serve with Tulsa Public Schools Brown Bean Chowder and remember those days when summer was over, and fall is not far behind.
1 oz. yeast
1 ½ cup water
3/8 cup shortening (melted)
6 tbsp powdered milk
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
Powdered sugar glaze
½ box powdered sugar
¼ cup butter melted
Water or milk
· Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm.
· Add melted shortening and beaten egg.
· In a mixing bowl add flour, powdered milk, and salt mix thoroughly.
· Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
· Punch the dough down and turn it onto a floured surface then roll it out to ¼ thickness.
· Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle the sugar mixture over the dough.
· Roll up lengthwise and cut into 2 ½ in rolls.
· Place on a greased tray. Cover and let rise until doubled again.
· Bake in 400* for 20-25 minutes.
· Mix the powdered sugar, melted butter and enough milk or water for spreading consistency
· Let the cinnamon rolls cool and drizzle the glaze over the top.
This recipe serves 12.
I looked forward to the cinnamon rolls every week and I always wished they would serve them more often. Try these slightly warm and enjoy them with a cup of coffee or tea.