Spice cake with brown sugar buttercream.:
Spice cake just says fall with its warm flavors of cinnamon and vanilla and paired with the velvety caramel sweetness of brown sugar buttercream.
Follow along with this article and I will show you how to create this homemade decadent cake from scratch.
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 1/2 baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
· Preheat to 350*
· Grease two 8’ or 9’ cake pans and line with parchment paper.
· In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
· Alternate adding the flour and milk to the sugar mixture ending with milk.
· Divide the cake batter into the two pans.
· Bake for 30 minutes.
· Let cool in pans for 10 minutes and then cool completely on a wire rack.
Wilton Brown Sugar Buttercream
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar.
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 cups or 3 sticks of butter
3 cups powdered sugar.
· In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil stirring constantly over medium-high heat just until sugar dissolves.
· Reduce heat to medium, cook 1 minute, then remove from heat. Using a clean spatula, stir in salt.
· Transfer to a heat-proof bowl, cover and let cool completely to room temperature (About 2-3 hours).
· In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar syrup until smooth.
· Gradually add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary. Beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Now it’s time to assemble the cake. Put one of the cake layers on a cake plate and spread some of the icing over the cake and add the top cake layer. Frost the cake completely with brown sugar buttercream. Add fall sprinkles to make it more festive. Keep refrigerated slice and enjoy,