Molasses is that thick, sweet dark syrup made from sugar cane or sugar beets. The molasses gives this bread a slightly sweet flavor and hearty texture ideal for toasting with butter and jam or a delicious sandwich.
Using your bread maker to make molasses bread is an easy and convenient process. The bread maker automates the whole measuring, mixing, kneading, and baking process allowing you to have freshly baked bread with minimal fuss and effort.
I like to set the bread maker on the dough setting then transfer the dough to my own bread pans and do the final rise before baking. Both processes work great and it’s your own personal preference. Refer to your manual for the correct process for your bread maker. Although, I have found that both of my bread makers (different brands) worked the same way. The success of the bread is how you add the ingredients to the pan.
1/3 cup molasses
1 ¼ cups water
2 tbsp. dry milk powder
2 tbsp. Butter
4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 tsp. salt.
- Add the ingredients in the order that is laid out. Molasses, water, butter, dry milk powder, flour, yeast, and salt. It is important to add the yeast and salt to opposite sides of the pan (the salt will kill the yeast if you add them together).
- If you want the bread baked in the bread maker set the setting to basic bread setting and let it go through the cycle. I like to check on my bread because heat and humidity can affect it. If it seems too dry add a tablespoon of water at a time, being careful not to add too much water. The dough should look formed but not liquidly or dry and crumbly.
- If you want to bake your bread in your own pan, select the dough setting. This recipe makes 2 regular loaf pans 8.5 x 4.5 x2.5. When the bread dough is through the cycle put it on a lightly floured surface and cut it in half with bench scraper or sharp knife. Spray your pans with pan spray shape the bread and put in the pans. Turn the light on in your oven or microwave, set the pans in the oven and cover with a clean dish towel.
- Set the timer for an hour when the bread has doubled take it out of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350* and bake the bread for about 25 minutes.
- Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy the sweet flavorful bread. Store the bread in a airtight container.
For more content follow me on Newsbreak: https://www.newsbreak.com/@c/1602507?s=01
Facebook as Justina’s Country Kitchen: facebook.com/ justinascountrykitchen
YouTube: Justina’s Country Kitchen@JustinasCountryKitchen